UCMH Director of Lifelong Learning
Permanent half-time, average of 20 hours/week
(Potential to job-share for full-time work)
Deadline for Applications:
July 18 or until filled
A Unique Opportunity:
The Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson (UCMH) is a vibrant congregation with 55 members and 15 children and youth that is thinking outside the box with new programs and modalities as we seek to transform our lives and our world with love. Lifespan faith formation has been an integral part of our efforts to bring our vision of growth and transformation into being. We are strongly committed to providing rich faith formation opportunities for people of all ages, and we are especially proud of our Spiritual Growth and Community Center, now finishing its 10th year of operation, which has offered hundreds of programs to thousands of attendees with the goal of “growing spirits – changing the world.” We seek an individual who is passionate about faith formation and building multi-generational community to serve as our Director of Lifelong Learning. A number of congregations near us are also searching for a religious educator. We are open to negotiating a job-share to create a full-time or ¾ time job.
Promote multigenerational community and oversee our faith formation programs for all ages, including the Spiritual Growth & Community Center and our Sunday morning programs. Essential functions will include:
- Oversight of Faith Formation: Support faith formation opportunities for all ages; coordinate and/or lead programs for kids, teens or families through the Spiritual Growth and Community Center (SGCC); implement thematic-ministry curricula for children and teens on Sunday mornings; collaborate with area congregations for shared OWL (Our Whole Lives Comprehensive Sexuality Curriculum) and Coming of Age programming; implement safe congregation policies at all faith formation events
- Shared Ministry and Teamwork: Participate in staff meetings, including weekly meetings with the minister; recruit, train and support teachers and program leaders; hire and supervise nursery care givers and teachers; provide relevant faith formation information to the church administrator & communications & publicity director
- Administration: Communicate regularly with program leaders, teachers, and families; work with the SGCC team and administrator to coordinate the schedule and structure of all faith formation programs; oversee production of the Spiritual Growth & Community Center brochure 2x per year; track attendance and maintain files; purchase needed supplies; prepare annual budget request and track spending and other finances
- Worship: Tell a Story for All Ages approximately 2x per month; create opportunities for children and youth to participate in worship services and to engage in classroom rituals; co-lead multigenerational worship services with minister approximately once a month
Reports to and is supervised by the minister; works collaboratively with the Spiritual Growth and Community Center Team.
We are looking for a visionary person who loves this work and is eager to be part of our experilearning, outreach and growth.
Associate’s degree, preferably in educational or religious field. Credentialed religious educator preferred.
Essential Skills Include:
- Creativity in vision and ideas
- Administrative and organizational skills: attention to details, ability to bring a concept through all phases of development, ability to oversee both short-term and long-term projects
- Welcoming and respectful orientation to all people regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, economic status, or ethnicity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership abilities in a collaborative environment (taking initiative, working independently, empowering others, identifying talent and recruiting capable people into positions of responsibility, appropriate delegation, and maintaining an open and active dialogue with all volunteers and staff)
- Ability to improvise, adapt and overcome with a flexible, on-going learning mindset and a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of stages of faith and ability to lead small groups of different age ranges, including planning content and creating a safe, supportive environment for discussions
- Interest in personal professional development – training opportunities available
- Preferred: strong UU identity and background
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation will be based on qualifications and will be in accordance with the UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines and includes pension in the amount of 10% of salary, life insurance, professional expenses in the amount of 7.5% of salary, and, if needed, health insurance pro-rated for half-time work. This 12-month position requires attendance on Sunday mornings from September-June, with 8 Sundays off during those months and an additional 2 available for professional development. 4 weeks of paid vacation and 1 week of paid study leave are included. Other than Sundays, hours are flexible and some work at home is permitted. We will support our Director of Lifelong Learning in completing the Unitarian Universalist Religious Education Credentialing Program.
The Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson is located at 80 Main Street in downtown Hudson, Massachusetts.